Amanda-Users

Re: Fwd: The Coyote Den AMANDA MAIL REPORT FOR July 24, 2006

2006-07-25 10:54:29
Subject: Re: Fwd: The Coyote Den AMANDA MAIL REPORT FOR July 24, 2006
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 10:44:29 -0400
On Monday 24 July 2006 16:00, Kevin Till wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>> Oh oh folks:
>>
>> I put 2.5.1b1-20060723 in on the server (this machine) yesterday,
>> got a near total failure last night.
>
>Hi Gene,
>
>o when you run amcheck, did it pass?
>
>o did the amandad on the client respond at all? Check if there
> /tmp/amanda/amandad*.debug file created?
>
>o If so, any error in that file?
>
>o are you using bsd (the default) as the auth?
>
>o Try to add "server_args             = -auth=bsd amdump" to the
> xinetd/amanda defintion. More detail info on docs/howto-auth.txt

[snipped due to formatting damages from an over exhuberant line wrapper
someplace in the message handling chain]

Is this thread to be allowed to die?  It was a very real problem for me.
I can reinstall this latest snapshot to verify its broken-ness I
suppose...  Cleanup seems to be minimal, kill all the gtars on the
client & reinstall 2.5.0-20060424, but it sure mucks up the scheduling
for a few days.  FWIW, the client is still running 2.5.1b1-20060722,
and worked just fine last night.  This is the one with the memory leak?
No, thats the one that fixed it.

So it blows up if the server is 2.5.1b1-20060723, and the client is
2.5.1b1-20060722 in this case.

>From the 723 ChangeLog:
2006-07-23  Jean-Louis Martineau <martineau AT zmanda DOT com>
        * client-src/sendbackup-gnutar.c: Fix bug found by splint.
        * client-src/sendsize.c: Fix bug found by splint.

So what did this break?  It broke both machines, although it only left a
gtar per DLE running on the client box, but not on the server box.  And
it was the server box that was running 0723.

Me puzzled...  The canary died.

message by Gene Heskett are: