Amanda-Users

Re: Backup server disaster recovery

2006-07-21 14:50:41
Subject: Re: Backup server disaster recovery
From: "Ronald Vincent Vazquez" <rvazquez AT ctcministries DOT org>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 14:44:30 -0400 (EDT)
On Fri, July 21, 2006 9:16 am, Joe Donner (sent by Nabble.com) wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> say your amanda backup server itself dies, and you need to
> reinstall/recreate it from scratch.
>
> You want the new backup server to have available the information needed to
> find and restore data from tapes, i.e. the info you get when running:
> amadmin config find server_name disk
> or like when you restore something from a specific date, when the server
> tells you which tapes you need to do the restore (while using amrecoger).
>
> What do you need to back up on the current backup server to enable you to
> get the new server to this state?
>
> Will appreciate your insight.
>
> Joe
> --
> Sent from the Amanda - Users forum at Nabble.com.

Hello:

Here is what we have done at our site.  We re-mastered DSL (Damn Small
Linux) with all the tools we need (and some we won't ever need).  The
bootable CD includes: ssh, netcat, etc., SCSI modules for our card, raid
stuff, and most important, Amanda client.

As a test, we trashed the drives on the backup server rendering it
un-bootable and after the restoration a few minutes later the server was
running again.  What I did was, boot from the CD, fdisk the drives, create
the file systems, enable mirroring, mount the partitions, and restore the
last level 0 to the drive.  I didn't have to mess with any incrementals
because part of my test included a level 0 right before destroying the
server.  The only other thing I did was to copy /dev from the CD to the
drive and mount /proc in order to install lilo on the hard drives.

In short, if you could invest the time in creating a "Live CD" with amanda
client now, it will pay good dividends later.  You would need nothing more
than the CD and a cup of coffee.

Later,

Ronald Vincent Vazquez
Senior Unix Systems Administrator
Senior Network Manager
Christ Tabernacle Church Ministries
http://www.ctcministries.org
(240) 401-9192 Cell

For web hosting solutions, please visit:
http://www.spherenix.com/