Amanda-Users

Re: Backup server disaster recovery

2006-07-21 12:47:39
Subject: Re: Backup server disaster recovery
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 12:42:15 -0400
On Fri, Jul 21, 2006 at 06:16:38AM -0700, Joe Donner (sent by Nabble.com) wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> say your amanda backup server itself dies, and you need to
> reinstall/recreate it from scratch.
>
> You want the new backup server to have available the information needed to
> find and restore data from tapes, i.e. the info you get when running:
> amadmin config find server_name disk
> or like when you restore something from a specific date, when the server
> tells you which tapes you need to do the restore (while using amrecoger).
>
> What do you need to back up on the current backup server to enable you to
> get the new server to this state?

Top of head list
(some may overlap,
 some may not be needed for basic recovery):

amanda_user home directory
amanda config directory
config files not in config directory
   (ex. I breakout dumptypes, tapetypes, and others
    into a common directory for all configs)
logfile directory
index directory
curinfo directory
gnutar-lists directory
/etc/amandates
/etc/dumpdates
.amandahosts
{x}inetd config
crontab entries
/???/bin/<amanda_executables>
/???/sbin/<amanda_executables>
/???/libexec/<amanda_executables>
/???/lib/<amanda_shared_libraries>
/???/lib/<amanda_other_libraries>
?? system tape and changer config file ??
   (ex. on Solaris I've modified st.conf and
    sgen.conf, on Fedora I've modified stinit.def)
exclude or include list files
?? holding disk in case what you want is not flushed ??

You might bundle these with tar and transfer to a different
host for safe-keeping after each amdump.  An alternative
advocated by at least one is to append the bundle to the
end of the tape just used by amdump.  So it would be a
tape file after all the amanda tape files.  Easy to locate,
advance to end and backup one file.  This assumes sufficient
space on tape (testable).
 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)