Amanda-Users

Re: Amrecover help needed

2006-07-21 13:00:54
Subject: Re: Amrecover help needed
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 12:55:26 -0400
On Fri, Jul 21, 2006 at 05:34:28PM +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Thursday 20 July 2006 22:39, Frank Smith wrote:
> > Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:
> > > On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 at 9:59pm, Anne Wilson wrote

> > > It goes into $CWD from which you launched amrecover.
> >
> > If you forget to change to your desired destination directory before
> > starting amrecover, you can use the lcd command to change to another
> > destination directory within amrecover before you give the extract
> > command.  Sometimes useful if you have spent some time picking and
> > choosing files before remembering you're not where you want them
> > restored to and don't want to start over.
> >
> Thanks to all who have responded, on and off-list.  I'm almost there, in that
> I have successfully recovered a file, but I'm still having problems with
> directing the file to where I want it.  This was my latest attempt:
>
> [root@borg amanda-2.5.0-20060323]# cd /home/anne/Documents/recover
> [root@borg recover]# amrecover
> AMRECOVER Version 2.5.0-20060323. Contacting server on borg ...
> 220 borg AMANDA index server (2.5.0-20060323) ready.
> 200 Access OK
> Setting restore date to today (2006-07-21)
> 200 Working date set to 2006-07-21.
> Scanning /tmp/dumps...
> 200 Config set to Daily.
> 200 Dump host set to borg.
> Trying disk /home ...
> $CWD '/home/anne/Documents/recover' is on disk '/home' mounted at '/home'.
> 200 Disk set to /home.
> Invalid directory - /home/anne/Documents/recover
>
> Why is it invalid?  I thought at first it was a permissions problem, but then
> amrecover is running as root.

A guess, it is saying /home/<anything> (your current directory)
is not valid as the backup is started from ".", not /home.
I.e. the tar or dump was basically done as "cd /home; backup ."
It was not done as "backup /home".

So when it looks for /home/<anything> starting from the top
of the backup archive, there is nothing ./home/<anything>
That would correspond to /home/home/<anything>.

I suspect it considers it "invalid" as it is not the start of
the DLE's souce directory.  Have you gone further and tried
to do recoveries after this type of message?

I don't see that message, or react to it the same way, because
I generally am recovering to somewhere totally different than
the thing which was dumped, like /tmp/recover.  Then is complains
that no DLE corresponds to /tmp/recover and I have to set all
those "set{disk|date|tape|...} things manually (including the
recovery destination by doing an "lcd" if I forgot to cd to the
correct place before running amrecover.
 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)