Amanda-Users

Re: amrecover "Tape is not a dump tape" but amrestore works?

2006-07-12 17:50:20
Subject: Re: amrecover "Tape is not a dump tape" but amrestore works?
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 22:44:58 -0400
On Wed, Jul 12, 2006 at 11:03:38AM -0400, Julian C. Dunn wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Jul 2006, Jon LaBadie wrote:
>

> >So whatever was fed by amrecover to the restore program did not
> >appear to be created by the corresponding dump program.
> >
> >Do you use dump/restore in your amanda dumptypes or gnutar?
>
> I use dump/restore. I was trying to restore files from babelfish (a
> FreeBSD 6.1 box) on the tape server aphrodite (a FreeBSD 4.9 box). One
> would think the dump/restore utilities would be the same between versions
> though?

One would think, wouldn't one.

But then again ...

How about extracting the raw dump file from the tape on to aphrodite.
amrestore has options (I always have to look them up) to pull it off.
If it is gzip'ped, expand it and check whether the file(1) cmd sees
it as a dump archive and whether the old restore can recover from it.
Probably a table of contents would be sufficient.  Or extract a few
files.

Then transfer it (the archive) to bablefish and ensure it can restore
from the archive.

If you can only do it from bablefish, perhaps the new dump has options
to make old archives.  Or maybe the new restore can be compiled and
added to the old OS.

Finally, you should be able to do an amrecover from bablefish rather
than on the server.

> >When directed to do so, did you manually load the correct tape
> >and rewind it before typeing "y"?
>
> Yep... I'm not that silly :-)

Amazing how many don't do this step.  Thinking it is merely a
notice and request for permission.

> What did work was this:
>
> 1) use amrestore to pull the dumps off the tape and save them manually
> 2) run "restore" on the target machine to do interactive restore

So you did the second part of my thoughts above, how about restore
on the pulled dumps before sending them to the target?

> But I'd rather not have to do that in the future, so I'd like to fix this.

Would there be a problem doing amrecover from the target?  If they
were not similar OS's that would be the "proper" way.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)