Amanda-Users

Re: amrecover "Tape is not a dump tape" but amrestore works?

2006-07-12 11:09:38
Subject: Re: amrecover "Tape is not a dump tape" but amrestore works?
From: "Julian C. Dunn" <lists AT aquezada DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 11:03:38 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 12 Jul 2006, Jon LaBadie wrote:

On Wed, Jul 12, 2006 at 08:38:16AM -0400, Julian C. Dunn wrote:
Just following up on my own message. I'll try and be more succinct;
maybe all my debugging info turned people off:

What does

----8<----
Extracting files using tape drive /dev/nrsa0 on host
aphrodite.acf.aquezada.com.Load tape dltbw14 now
Continue [?/Y/n/s/t]? Y
Tape is not a dump tape
extract_list - child returned non-zero status: 1
----8<----

mean?

Sometimes people just don't have an answer, so they don't post :)

I know, and sometimes people are discouraged by reams of debugging info (mea culpa) :-)

I grep'ed the source, that message "Tape is not a dump tape" does
not come directly from amanda.  It must be coming from an auxilliary
program.  As it is refering to "dump", I suspect it is coming from
the restore program (restore, ufsrestore, ???restore, not amrestore).

So whatever was fed by amrecover to the restore program did not
appear to be created by the corresponding dump program.

Do you use dump/restore in your amanda dumptypes or gnutar?

I use dump/restore. I was trying to restore files from babelfish (a FreeBSD 6.1 box) on the tape server aphrodite (a FreeBSD 4.9 box). One would think the dump/restore utilities would be the same between versions though?

When directed to do so, did you manually load the correct tape
and rewind it before typeing "y"?

Yep... I'm not that silly :-)

What did work was this:

1) use amrestore to pull the dumps off the tape and save them manually
2) run "restore" on the target machine to do interactive restore

But I'd rather not have to do that in the future, so I'd like to fix this.

- Julian

[ Julian C. Dunn <jdunn AT aquezada DOT com>  *  "You can throw confetti,   ]
[ WWW: www.aquezada.com/staff/julian   *  but you're still going     ]
[ PGP: 91B3 7A9D 683C 7C16 715F        *  through the motions, baby" ]
[      442C 6065 D533 FDC2 05B9        *                - Aimee Mann ]