Amanda-Users

planner: disk xxx:/, estimate of level N failed

2006-07-12 18:34:48
Subject: planner: disk xxx:/, estimate of level N failed
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 22:29:21 -0500
In the last few days I've started seeing a couple of messages like
the above in the NOTES section of my daily reports.  The DLEs in
question do get backed up, but it is a level 0 each night. Originally
it was just one server, now it is two.
   Both are running 2.5.0p2-1 Debian etch packages, one is x86, the
other is arm.   A third amd64 machine is still working fine so far.
The appearance of the errors may have coincided with package updates,
but I'm not sure (although they have been 2.5.x for awhile).
   Since I've been running Amanda for years, my first thought was
just to check the /tmp/amanda/*debug files, but was surprised to
find that those files don't exist on any of the 2.5.0 machines,
all that is in /tmp/amanda are selfcheck*exclude, sendbackup*exclude,
and sendsize*exclude files.
   It's not critical, theses are my home machines and I have the
space to handle nightly level 0s, but I had been considering an
upgrade of my work machines to 2.5 from 2.4.5 and am now concerned
that this might be a bug that needs fixing before I upgrade. The
estimate error may be just a Debian package thing, either in the
Amanda package or possibly in tar, but evidently the debug files have
been missing longer than the estimate error.

Any debug suggestions?

Frank

--
Frank Smith                                      fsmith AT hoovers DOT com
Sr. Systems Administrator                       Voice: 512-374-4673