Amanda-Users

Re: Cygwin amanda client behind firewall

2006-07-12 16:31:09
Subject: Re: Cygwin amanda client behind firewall
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: "McGraw, Robert P." <rmcgraw AT purdue DOT edu>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 22:18:47 +0200
McGraw, Robert P. schreef:
I am running 2.4.5P1 server on a Solaris host.

I have a cygwin Win2003 client that sites behind a firewall.

Can someone explain the IP address 0.0.0.0:PORTNUM. This seems to be causing me problems in trying to get my amanda server to talk to the Win2003 client.

It means that this program is listening on INADDR_ANY (0.0.0.0), i.e.
any interface (not just 127.0.0.1 or 192.168.1.12, or whatever the IP number of your host is). The programs then just waits until the other side connects to this portnumber.

I have one firewall setting that that allows all IP on our subnet to get to any host and to any service on the LAN. The firewall setting works because I can run netcat from the amanda server to the 100080 UDP port of the cygwin client behind the firewall and I get the proper response.

But when I run amcheck I am getting the timed out message.

./amcheck -c daily cygwinclient
Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
WARNING: cygwinclient: selfcheck request timed out.  Host down?
Client check: 1 host checked in 30.025 seconds, 1 problem found

I believe it has to do with the 0.0.0.0:PORTNUMBER that is used by amanda to communicate with the clients. I am not exactly sure what or how this works but I know on a previous cygwin client, outside of the firewall that used
zonealarm, I had to trust the IP address 0.0.0.0.

Is this something that I should be able to set on a the firewall?

I have no experience with ZoneAlarm, sorry.