Amanda-Users

Cygwin amanda client behind firewall

2006-07-12 12:48:11
Subject: Cygwin amanda client behind firewall
From: "McGraw, Robert P." <rmcgraw AT purdue DOT edu>
To: <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 12:42:40 -0400
I am running 2.4.5P1 server on a Solaris host.

I have a cygwin Win2003 client that sites behind a firewall.

Can someone explain the IP address 0.0.0.0:PORTNUM. This seems to be causing
me problems in trying to get my amanda server to talk to the Win2003 client.

I have one firewall setting that that allows all IP on our subnet to get to
any host and to any service on the LAN. The firewall setting works because I
can run netcat from the amanda server to the 100080 UDP port of the cygwin
client behind the firewall and I get the proper response.

But when I run amcheck I am getting the timed out message.

./amcheck -c daily cygwinclient
Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
--------------------------------
WARNING: cygwinclient: selfcheck request timed out.  Host down?
Client check: 1 host checked in 30.025 seconds, 1 problem found

I believe it has to do with the 0.0.0.0:PORTNUMBER that is used by amanda to
communicate with the clients. I am not exactly sure what or how this works but
I know on a previous cygwin client, outside of the firewall that used
zonealarm, I had to trust the IP address 0.0.0.0.

Is this something that I should be able to set on a the firewall?

I am kind of lost at this point.

Thanks

Robert

Robert P. McGraw, Jr.
Manager, Computer System                 EMAIL: rmcgraw AT purdue DOT edu
Purdue University                         ROOM: MATH-807
Department of Mathematics                PHONE: (765) 494-6055
150 N. University Street                   FAX: (419) 821-0540
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2067