Amanda-Users

RE: Backing up subversion repositories (From a windows subversion server)

2006-07-05 16:48:32
Subject: RE: Backing up subversion repositories (From a windows subversion server)
From: <donald.ritchey AT exeloncorp DOT com>
To: <clepeterd AT gmail DOT com>, <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2006 15:43:12 -0500
Obvious choice (probably not suitable, but no harm in suggesting it):

Is there space available (or can be made available) on the tape server?
If so, the second backup is local to the Amanda tape server.

Another possibility:  Are there network connections available to put up
a local, isolated connection from the subversion server to the Samba
server?  If so, that prevents the traffic for the Subversion export from
affecting the rest of your network.  Still two network transfers, but
one of them shouldn't affect anyone else.

A third alternative (more expensive and more hassle, but possible):  Put
in a new Linux box with VMWare installed and run the Windows Subversion
server on the Linux box inside VMWare.  It puts Subversion on the Linux
system and gives your Windows Subversion administrator/support person an
area to learn a more useful platform (my anti-MS roots showing through
here).

All ideas make some sense, each with advantages and drawbacks.  You are
welcome to any and all of them.

Best Wishes,

Don Ritchey
Information Technology