Amanda-Users

Re: Backing up subversion repositories (From a windows subversion server)

2006-07-05 16:13:27
Subject: Re: Backing up subversion repositories (From a windows subversion server)
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: Guy <clepeterd AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2006 16:08:10 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 5 Jul 2006 at 3:51pm, Guy wrote

We are currently using amanda 2.4.5p1 to backup a mix of Unix + Linux hosts.
Now, we need to backup HUGE (100 Gb) subversion repositories that reside on
a Windows XP box.

From what I have read, the SMB client seems flaky.

Not so bad, really. It doesn't handle files held open by Windows programs though, which may be an issue.

I only have ONE big directory to backup from windows. My amanda tape server
is a Linux Box.

Did anyone try to use the Windows Services For Unix from micro$oft ?

Not if you put a gun to my head. *shudder* I've never used SFU, but I've heard horror stories of the tentacles.

We plan to NFS export the directory and mount it on the amanda tape server
and back it up from there.

Are we heading for a disater ?

More 'n likely.

What are our other alternatives ?

If it were me, I'd look at using subversion's various internal backup scripts (e.g. 'svnadmin dump', 'hotbackup') and putting the resulting images on a "network drive" served out via samba on a *nix box. Then backup the svn backup images on the *nix box. Of course, this assumes you've got a Linux server (or servers) with sufficient space for this.

I suggested to move the subversion server from Windows to Linux, but the
subversion admin is not compfortable enough with Linux to do the move.

Too bad.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering