Amanda-Users

Appropriate number of tapes in a set

2006-06-26 08:20:29
Subject: Appropriate number of tapes in a set
From: "Joe Donner (sent by Nabble.com)" <lists AT nabble DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 04:14:29 -0700 (PDT)
Hi,

can anyone please help me understand this:  Apparently, you have to
calculate how many tapes you need for your backup schedule as the number of
tapes needed for every day the backup will run in your dumpcycle + one extra
tape to avoid the risk of overwriting a full backup performed at the
beginning of the previous cycle (quoted very loosely).

I want to:

1.  Run a backup job once a day Monday to Friday (all my data will fit onto
one tape),
2.  Have four weeks' worth of "historical" backups, i.e. be able to restore
data to any given point within the last four weeks, and
3.  Permanently archive one monthly full backup.

So how would I calculate the appropriate number of tapes needed?

5 days * 4 weeks + 1  = 21 tapes  ??

If I don't force full backups, and therefore full backups are sort of
scattered between different tapes, then I'll have to take out multiple tapes
every month for archiving, right?  How should that be managed?

What would appropriate values be for dumpcycle, runspercycle, and tapecycle?
I'm thinking:

dumpcycle 7 days (to ensure a full backup at least once a week)
runspercycle 5 days (Monday to Friday every week)
tapecycle 21 (number of tapes in rotation assuming my calculation above is
correct)

I'd really appreciate your advice on this type of backup scheme, because I'm
struggling a bit to understand Amanda - they should have called her George
or something :)