Amanda-Users

Re: Appropriate number of tapes in a set

2006-06-26 11:00:05
Subject: Re: Appropriate number of tapes in a set
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 09:53:14 -0400
On Mon, Jun 26, 2006 at 05:01:44AM -0700, Joe Donner (sent by Nabble.com) wrote:

> Thanks very much for clarifying that to me.
>
> Yes, I meant that (at least at present) all data will fit onto one tape for
> every day of the week, i.e. if a full backup is done every day Monday to
> Friday, then Monday's full backup will fit onto one tape, Tuesday's will fit
> onto one tape, and so on.
>
> About the second configuration for doing monthly archival backups:

Now that you are considering a second configuration, consider using
hard disks for your daily backups.  It appears you want a regular
archive for disaster or required retention of data.  But the daily
requirement will be more for "opps I didn't mean to type rm xxx"
type of needs.

Virtual tapes, using disk space as tapes, is ideal for this latter
type of need.  Fast, no physical changer, simple to setup once you've
experienced setting up any amanda config, and really convenient to
retreive individual files as you need not go and get the specific
tapes, they are "always in the changer".  Plus, disk space, even
external usb or nas drives are pretty inexpensive these days.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)