Amanda-Users

Re: Appropriate number of tapes in a set

2006-06-26 09:08:02
Subject: Re: Appropriate number of tapes in a set
From: "Joe Donner (sent by Nabble.com)" <lists AT nabble DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 05:01:44 -0700 (PDT)
Thanks very much for clarifying that to me.

Yes, I meant that (at least at present) all data will fit onto one tape for
every day of the week, i.e. if a full backup is done every day Monday to
Friday, then Monday's full backup will fit onto one tape, Tuesday's will fit
onto one tape, and so on.

About the second configuration for doing monthly archival backups:

1.  I assume then that you'd have to do something once a month to prevent
the normal Amanda backup job from running while the monthly full one is
active?  I seem to remember I read somewhere about placing a file called
"hold" inside an Amanda directory to cause the normal daily run to "pause"
so it doesn't interfere with your monthly job - and so that you don't have
to modify your cron job each time?
2.  In other words, if you have a second configuration for monthly archives,
then you really just happily rotate your 21 tapes for the normal daily
backups, and then replace them one at a time either when they die naturally
or when they've reached their "expiry date"?

Thanks again - I think this has made things "click" somewhere in my head.