Amanda-Users

Re: determining backup set

2006-06-26 07:08:00
Subject: Re: determining backup set
From: Toralf Lund <toralf AT procaptura DOT com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 12:01:16 +0200

Maybe I've missed something, but I can't see why a special script would be necessary in this case.
[ ... ]
This script is not special for the situation in question.  In contrast,
it is meant to be run after every backup to produce tape-labels with
information which files from which tapes you need to recover a given
DLE.  You attach those labels to the tapes and you always have an answer
to OP's question, even if you loose the database.

Why not use the commands already provided as part of the amanda
distribution? I mean, like

amadmin <config name> find

or

amadmin <config name> find <host name>

or

Maybe because the output of "amadmin <xx> find" is no more than a plain
dump of amanda's database.
Please go and check the above mentioned script and compare its output
with the output of "amadmin <xx> find".
Maybe I'll do that, but I think you misunderstood me. I wasn't trying to imply that your script isn't useful, or anything. I just meant to point out that when newbies ask questions like this, I think we should try to explain what might be done with the built-in commands before we tell them to install additional software. Unless, of course, there is absolutely no way to solve the problem with the usual commands, which I think isn't the case here.

- Toralf