Amanda-Users

Re: determining backup set

2006-06-22 15:36:54
Subject: Re: determining backup set
From: Josef Wolf <jw AT raven.inka DOT de>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 21:26:08 +0200
On Thu, Jun 22, 2006 at 11:51:22AM +0200, Toralf Lund wrote:

> >>Actually, I probably do have access to these things, but I'm not yet
> >>sure how to interpret them. Any pointers will be appreciated. (Note
> >>that all recent log files represent backup failures, but the old logs
> >>are still available in the archive area.)
> >
> >As long as the log files are available, the amandatape script that I
> >posted a while ago to this list will give you the info that you are
> >looking for.  You can find it here:
> >
> Maybe I've missed something, but I can't see why a special script would
> be necessary in this case.

This script is not special for the situation in question.  In contrast,
it is meant to be run after every backup to produce tape-labels with
information which files from which tapes you need to recover a given
DLE.  You attach those labels to the tapes and you always have an answer
to OP's question, even if you loose the database.

> Why not use the commands already provided as part of the amanda
> distribution? I mean, like
>
> amadmin <config name> find
>
> or
>
> amadmin <config name> find <host name>
>
> or

Maybe because the output of "amadmin <xx> find" is no more than a plain
dump of amanda's database.

Please go and check the above mentioned script and compare its output
with the output of "amadmin <xx> find".