Amanda-Users

Re: Failed dumps with new amanda client

2006-06-21 13:22:53
Subject: Re: Failed dumps with new amanda client
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: up AT 3 DOT am
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 13:17:37 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 at 11:23am, up AT 3 DOT am wrote

On Wed, 21 Jun 2006, Jon LaBadie wrote:

I note your speed is pretty low compared to my chart listing,
1.5 vs 5.0 MB/sec.  Is DLT capacity affected by slow feed?

Not sure...I noticed the speed as well.  I had raised the conf parameter:

From:  netusage  1600 Kbps
To:    netusage  7200 Kbps

I can't recall if that's bits or bytes (small b should be bits, right?).
But I'll try raising it alot more, since all dumps are over 100mbit
ethernet.

That parameter is only a guide to amanda. If amanda sees that the current backups coming over the network are using more than 'netusage' bandwidth, it won't start another one. But it doesn't throttle running backups to fit within netusage.

Besides that, amtapetype only showed the slow speed. That means the cause has to be your tape drive, tapes, or the SCSI chain the tape drive is on. Those are the only things involved in running amtapetype.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering