Amanda-Users

Re: Failed dumps with new amanda client

2006-06-21 12:53:17
Subject: Re: Failed dumps with new amanda client
From: up AT 3 DOT am
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 11:23:28 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 21 Jun 2006, Jon LaBadie wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 21, 2006 at 08:23:57AM -0400, Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:
> > On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 at 10:59pm, up AT 3 DOT am wrote
> >
> > >Here's the complete report, now that it finally finished:
> > >
> > >su-2.05a$ amtapetype -f /dev/nrsa0
> > >Writing 256 Mbyte   compresseable data:  92 sec
> > >Writing 256 Mbyte uncompresseable data:  90 sec
> > >Estimated time to write 2 * 1024 Mbyte: 720 sec = 0 h 12 min
> > >wrote 763218 32Kb blocks in 2334 files in 13153 seconds (short write)
> > >wrote 757298 32Kb blocks in 4646 files in 20125 seconds (short write)
> > >define tapetype unknown-tapetype {
> > >   comment "just produced by tapetype prog (hardware compression off)"
> > >   length 24034 mbytes
> > >   filemark 81 kbytes
> > >   speed 1530 kps
> > >}
> > >
> > >Does this mean that this 35GB uncompressed tape is only yeilding 24GB?
> >
> > Yep, which means it's not an amanda issue.  And I have no idea why it's
> > doing that.   Good luck with it.  ;)
> >

> 24GB, that is just about where it ran out during amdump too.
>
> I've no idea either; just a possible coincidence.
>
> In my tapechart DLT IV tape is shown as 1800 inches long
> while DLT III tape is 1200 inches long.
> That ratio , 1200/1800 is pretty close to the
> 24GB (observed)/35GB (expected) ratio.
>
> Any chance these are just short tapes?

If so, I've been defrauded...they are clearly stamped "FujiFilm DLT IV"

> For all I know about DLT, the physical cartridge may have
> changed between DLT III and DLT IV so my question is silly.
>
> I note your speed is pretty low compared to my chart listing,
> 1.5 vs 5.0 MB/sec.  Is DLT capacity affected by slow feed?

Not sure...I noticed the speed as well.  I had raised the conf parameter:

From:  netusage  1600 Kbps
To:    netusage  7200 Kbps

I can't recall if that's bits or bytes (small b should be bits, right?).
But I'll try raising it alot more, since all dumps are over 100mbit
ethernet.

James Smallacombe                     PlantageNet, Inc. CEO and Janitor
up AT 3 DOT am                                                      http://3.am