Amanda-Users

Re: Failed dumps with new amanda client

2006-06-20 12:06:37
Subject: Re: Failed dumps with new amanda client
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: up AT 3 DOT am
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 10:58:49 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 at 10:35am, up AT 3 DOT am wrote

On Mon, 19 Jun 2006, Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:

I'd be awfully suspicious that you're running with hardware compression
enabled (quite possibly unbeknownest to you).

That doesn't really make sense to me...if that were the case, wouldn't it
affect all of the clients?  In any case, I manually turn off the hardware
compression before every backup.  One thing that has me curious is this:

Yes, it would affect all the clients. All the (already) compressed data going to tape would be hardware "compressed" by the drive, making it expand and take up more tape space. Therefore, even though amanda only saw ~25GB go to tape, on tape it took up the whole 35GB. The error you got (short write) typically means you hit EOT. That happened on one particular client, and so that particular client failed.

I don't have any experience with DLT, but I've heard tell that with some drives turning off hardware compression isn't always easy.

Avg Dump Rate (k/s)      1491.9     1491.9        --
Tape Time (hrs:min)        4:00       4:00       0:00

That speed looks a bit slow for a DLT7000...closer to what you'd expect
from a DLT4000.  Is there some kind of timeout at 4 hours?

Not that I'm aware of, and you didn't hit any timeout anyway -- you got a short write. Regarding the speed, since you're not running with a holding disk, there are all sorts of things that can affect the dump/tape rate -- speed from the client disks, network congestion, etc.

I'd start by using amtapetype to test your new drive, both for hardware compression and native speed. I'd also look at adding a holding disk to your config, if at all possible.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering