Amanda-Users

Re: Problems with amreport and postfix

2006-05-15 17:01:18
Subject: Re: Problems with amreport and postfix
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 16:56:37 -0400
On Mon, May 15, 2006 at 04:20:38PM -0400, Josh Steadmon wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I apologize if this has been discussed before.  I've searched Google and
> the amanda-users archive, but didn't find anything similar to my
> problem.
>
> I was wondering if anyone using postfix is having the same problems I
> am.  In the past, I've built Amanda with MAILER="/usr/bin/Mail", but I'd
> rather get amreport to work directly with postfix.  I've now built
> Amanda without explicitly specifying the mailer, and the configure
> script chooses postfix's version of sendmail.  However, this version of
> sendmail doesn't like the -s "Subject..." option, so amreport can't send
> mail.  This is the error message I get when I try to run amreport by
> hand:
>
> sendmail: invalid option -- s
> sendmail: fatal: usage: sendmail [options]
> amreport: mail command failed: /usr/sbin/sendmail -s "testing_tape AMANDA
> MAIL REPORT FOR BogusMonth 0, 0" labstaff AT cs.utk DOT edu
>

> So, do any postfix users have some tips on how to get amanda to use
> postfix directly?

I don't think sendmail supports a -s option, neither postfix's compatibility
version nor the real version.

Amanda is not expecting to use a mail transport agent (MTA) directly,
but a mail user agent (MUA) that supports the -s option.

At a shell command line, how do you "send mail directly with postfix"?

While not germane to your query, I'm curious why you would rather amanda
not use an MUA.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)