Amanda-Users

Re: Problems with amreport and postfix

2006-05-15 19:36:02
Subject: Re: Problems with amreport and postfix
From: Josh Steadmon <steadmon AT cs.utk DOT edu>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 18:30:24 -0400
On (05/15/06 16:56), Jon LaBadie wrote:
> I don't think sendmail supports a -s option, neither postfix's compatibility
> version nor the real version.

Interesting.  Since Amanda tries to use sendmail (apparently) by
default, I'm surprised I wasn't able to find any other posts by people
having the same problem as I am.

> Amanda is not expecting to use a mail transport agent (MTA) directly,
> but a mail user agent (MUA) that supports the -s option.
>
> At a shell command line, how do you "send mail directly with postfix"?

To be honest, I'm not sure, although I believe that it would involve
postdrop.  This is what sendmail uses, according to postfix's manpages.
Unfortunately, postdrop doesn't support the -s option either.

> While not germane to your query, I'm curious why you would rather amanda
> not use an MUA.

It's just policy at our site to build servers with as few dependencies
as possible.  It's not a big problem, it's just that adding a mail user
agent would be one more (small) dependency for our backups servers.

Thanks for the reply,
Josh