Amanda-Users

Re: putting error warnings into seperate mail

2006-05-15 03:59:06
Subject: Re: putting error warnings into seperate mail
From: listrcv <listrcv AT condor-werke DOT com>
To: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 16:52:01 +0200
Paul Bijnens wrote:
On 2006-05-11 13:17, listrcv wrote:

The "blank lines" are actually just a single FormFeed character,
that some MUA display as many blank lines.

Hm, what's the use of those characters? When looking at the report with another MUA, I can see the first FF after the first three sections, so their use is even limited for filtering.

Besides, though rfc2822 allows using control characters like FF in mail (to my amazement), it also suggests that they might be stripped before displaying. Imho it's arguable whether mail should contain non-printable characters or not; I'd say it should not.

The problem with deciding about the errors is more difficult when
you look closer.

Yeah, if errors would be sent in seperate mail(s), that would make things easier. Each user could decide what to do with errors according to his needs.

So, implementing this inside Amanda for general use is difficult.

Well, what if you send a seperate mail instead of inserting the FF characters? Would that also be difficult?

Implementing a filter in perl for your own use should be easy enough.

Learning perl is not that easy ...

Then use this program as mailer:
  make distclean
  MAILER=/usr/local/bin/mymailer; export MAILER
  ./configure --with-user=...  ...

I could set up an alias to pipe to the script :)

Untested "mymailer" program, which duplicates sections of the mail:

Thanks, I'll check it out!

GH