Amanda-Users

Subset dumps?

2006-05-09 03:40:51
Subject: Subset dumps?
From: Ross Vandegrift <ross AT kallisti DOT us>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 9 May 2006 03:34:23 -0400
Hello everyone,

Been a bad week for my backups.  Today, we had a mostly catastrophic
loss of a vtape filesystem, lost 14 of 18 vtapes on our busiest Amanda
server.  I'm just finishing picking up the pieces now and getting
things back on track.

With amdump I can:
        1) Run dumps for an entire config: amdump master
        2) Run dumps for a particular host: amdump hostname
        3) Run dumps for a specific DLE: amdump hostname partition

Is there any way to run dumps for a subset of disklist entries?  For
example, is there someway I can do "amdump [a-h]*"?

We want to make a lot of full backups to make up for what we've lost,
and so we can get back into incrementals ASAP.  Forcing everything to
full greatly outpaces our holding space.

It would have almost been easier to do full dumps that would fill our
holding disk until we finished all the hosts, but I couldn't figure out a
good way to accomplish that...

--
Ross Vandegrift
ross AT kallisti DOT us