Amanda-Users

Re: how to tell amanda, that it can use the full bandwith? - some general questions

2006-05-06 17:46:20
Subject: Re: how to tell amanda, that it can use the full bandwith? - some general questions
From: Hans-Christian Armingeon <mog.johnny AT gmx DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sat, 6 May 2006 23:42:57 +0200
Hi,

thank you for your quick reply.

Am Samstag, 6. Mai 2006 23:22 schrieb Jon LaBadie:
> On Sat, May 06, 2006 at 10:53:03PM +0200, Hans-Christian Armingeon wrote:
> > Hi,
> > how to tell amanda, that it can use as much bandwith as possible?
> >
> > I have "netusage  125000" in my amanda.conf. This should saturate a 1GB
> > link, but amanda is still quite slow.
>
> To my knowledge, there is no "throttle" in amanda.
> The netusage parameter only affects whether or not to
> start a client dump.  Once started, the dump uses all
> the bandwidth it can, no restraints in the amanda code.
>
> Look into aspects other than netusage for performance problems.
What could be a good place to look at? I have no link problems.

> [...]
> > retriving a one year old file? I know, there was a theead some time ago,
> > but I can't find it anymore.
>
> How does that differ from a one day, week, or month old file?
Well, with our old backup solution, we had a a full backup job, that ran once a
month, and another job, that made the incremental backups.
We kept the tapes from the full backup job, and the incremental tapes were
overwritten after a while.

The question is, how to set runspercycle, dumpcycle and tapecycle, that I can
easily restore a two year old file with amanda.

Johnny