Amanda-Users

Re: tape_splitsize and single partitions; is faq answer still right?

2006-05-04 03:44:06
Subject: Re: tape_splitsize and single partitions; is faq answer still right?
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Steven Sweet <sweet AT sfos.uaf DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 04 May 2006 09:32:15 +0200
On 2006-05-04 00:52, Steven Sweet wrote:
The FAQ answer for "Can Amanda span large filesystems across multiple tapes" is still "Not Yet". Is this also true for 2.5.0p1?

In which FAQ did you find that?  (Just to update the docs.)
Yes, Amanda 2.5.0 can span dumps across multiple tapes.

I know single dumpfile images can now span multiple tapes, and the chunksize parameter will split dumpfiles into multiple pieces smaller than the partitions. But is it correct that all the chunks for a given partition must still be written to the same tape? I can't get Amanda to successfully dump to more than one tape any partition larger than the tape size, even though I can see the individual chunk files on the holding disk.

I'm testing trying to dump a single 25 GB partition to 16 GB tapes. I have my chunksize set 1.6GB and number of tapes per run 2. Amanda still fails with "No space left on device".

You have to enable tape splitting for those DLE's.  It is not
done automatically, so that the other wholy cow of Amanda, being
able to restore without Amanda tools, is still easy.

Set the parameter "tapesplit_size" in the dumptype for those DLE's.

http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/Splitting_dumps_across_tapes

--
Paul Bijnens, xplanation Technology Services        Tel  +32 16 397.511
* I think I've got the hang of it now:  exit, ^D, ^C, ^\, ^Z, ^Q, ^^, *