Amanda-Users

Re: tape_splitsize and single partitions; is faq answer still right?

2006-05-03 21:42:03
Subject: Re: tape_splitsize and single partitions; is faq answer still right?
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 3 May 2006 20:38:54 -0400
On Wed, May 03, 2006 at 02:52:12PM -0800, Steven Sweet wrote:
> The FAQ answer for "Can Amanda span large filesystems across multiple
> tapes" is still "Not Yet".  Is this also true for 2.5.0p1?
>
> I know single dumpfile images can now span multiple tapes, and the
> chunksize parameter will split dumpfiles into multiple pieces smaller
> than the partitions.  But is it correct that all the chunks for a given
> partition must still be written to the same tape?  I can't get Amanda to
> successfully dump to more than one tape any partition larger than the
> tape size, even though I can see the individual chunk files on the
> holding disk.
>
> I'm testing trying to dump a single 25 GB partition to 16 GB tapes.  I
> have my chunksize set 1.6GB and number of tapes per run 2.  Amanda still
> fails with "No space left on device".

"chunksize" is strictly a holding disk parameter.  Has no affect
on the spanning.  There are a new set of dumptype parameters
dealing with tape spanning.  I don't have 2.5 running yet,
but they parameters should be documented in your new manpages
for amanda.conf.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)