Amanda-Users

Re: amanda "all estimate failed"

2006-04-27 11:06:38
Subject: Re: amanda "all estimate failed"
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Arnd <m_list AT eshine DOT de>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 17:02:39 +0200
On 2006-04-27 16:43, Arnd wrote:
Paul,

thanks for helping. Here is what amcheck says:

Amanda Tape Server Host Check
-----------------------------
amcheck-server: slot 6: date 20060427 label DailySet106 (exact label match)
NOTE: skipping tape-writable test
Tape DailySet106 label ok
NOTE: info dir /usr/adm/amanda/curinfo: does not exist
NOTE: it will be created on the next run.
NOTE: index dir /home/amanda/syse-s7010-002: does not exist
NOTE: it will be created on the next run.
Server check took 0.155 seconds

Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
--------------------------------
Client check: 1 host checked in 10.038 seconds, 0 problems found

(brought to you by Amanda 2.4.5p1)

Perfect.
Almost:  I would not put every log file in the top level home
directory of amanda...  But that is no error of course.

Seems to me like the client tried to estimate and failed completely.
E.g. you specified program DUMP (or omit the "program" parameter
from the dumptype which then defaults to DUMP), but there is suitable
dump program on the client.  Amcheck would have told that.

amanda@syse-s7010-002 ~ $ dump --help
dump 0.4b40 (using libext2fs 1.38 of 30-Jun-2005)

amanda@syse-s7010-002 ~ $ /bin/tar --version
tar (GNU tar) 1.15.1

All good.

Im still testing and trying to backup on a single host any directory to virtual tapedrives.

/etc/amanda/DailySet1/amanda.conf:
--
dumpcycle 7 days
tapecycle 7

mailto   ""
logdir   "/home/amanda"
indexdir "/home/amanda"

I would put logdir, indexdir and infofile (also directory) in
a subdir named with the config.  Like in:

http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/Test_environment_with_virtual_tapes

runtapes 1
tpchanger "chg-multi"
changerfile "/etc/amanda/DailySet1/changer.conf"
tapelist "/etc/amanda/DailySet1/tapelist"

# Comment out tapedev and changerdev

tapetype HARD-DISK
labelstr "^DailySet1[0-9][0-9]*$"

define tapetype HARD-DISK {
    comment "Harddisk"
    length 200 mbytes
}

define dumptype hard-disk-dump {
    comment "Backup, using dump"
    holdingdisk no
    index yes
    priority high
}

define dumptype hard-disk-tar {
    hard-disk-dump
    comment "Back up to hard disk instead of tape - using tar"
    program "GNUTAR"
}
---

Looks good.

/etc/amanda/DailySet1/changer.conf:
--
multieject 0
gravity 0

statefile /home/amanda/changer-status

firstslot 1
lastslot 7

slot 1 file:/home/amanda/tape01
slot 2 file:/home/amanda/tape02
slot 3 file:/home/amanda/tape03
slot 4 file:/home/amanda/tape04
slot 5 file:/home/amanda/tape05
slot 6 file:/home/amanda/tape06
slot 7 file:/home/amanda/tape07
--

Fine too.

Now, we have to find out where/what the client is failing.
on the client look in the debug directory (usually /tmp/amanda)
for files having clues of what is going wrong there, especially
the file sendsize.datetime.debug and amandad.datetime.debug (there
are several from this one, we need the one with the "SERVICE sendsize"
request in it.

--
Paul Bijnens, xplanation Technology Services        Tel  +32 16 397.511
* I think I've got the hang of it now:  exit, ^D, ^C, ^\, ^Z, ^Q, ^^, *