Amanda-Users

C2 jukebox on Info, Amanda

2006-04-27 11:25:37
Subject: C2 jukebox on Info, Amanda
From: Brian Cuttler <brian AT wadsworth DOT org>
To: syslog AT wadsworth DOT org
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 10:22:38 -0400
Jukebox installed.

Upgraded firmware from v12 to v30, SUN patch 122133.

Patch resolved issue with failure of robot (Quantum term "picker")
to eject or properly load tapes.

Still a tape load issue, Quantum is working with Sun to certify and
provide v31 of firmware.

Since tape eject from the mailslot still produces errors Quantum hopes
that this is a firmware issue, else they will replace the chassie. I
have not yet tested moving tapes between the drive and magazine slots
nor loading and ejecting tapes from the magazine.

Note chassie replacement means everything but the tape magazines.

By setting the SCSI id of the C2 to 4 and running # devfsadm (no parameters
where given) we where able to create both /dev/rmt/3 to access the drive
and device  /dev/scsi/changer/c8t4d1 to access the robot/picker. We have
also run # chmod g+rw on the device
/devices/pci@8,700000/scsi@3/sgen@4,1:changer to permit group/amanda access.

Note that unlike the L9 jukebox where the tape and robot had unique scsi
targets, both at LUN 0, the C2 has a single scsi target address with the
tape at LUN 0 and the robot/picker at LUN 1.

By setting the SCSI target on the C2 to id 4 (from id 5) we where able to
create the device for the robot without having to edit Info's
/kernel/dev/sgen.conf file, which had already been edited (2003 Jan 3)
to allow for robots at scsi target 4 (DaveR ?).

Outstanding, firmware upgrade. Tape drive is accessable via mt -f status
and robot is available via mtx -f inquiry/inventory, etc commands.

I will configure an amanda run to test the new C2 but will do it over the
weekend as a secondary amanda job and will keep the job to the L9 as the
primary until we have tested further (firmware, backup, recovery).

---
   Brian R Cuttler                 brian.cuttler AT wadsworth DOT org