Amanda-Users

Re: Host down message on localhost client

2006-02-25 18:21:34
Subject: Re: Host down message on localhost client
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 18:17:01 -0500
On Saturday 25 February 2006 15:02, Wayne Thorpe wrote:
>I was previously using the host name but the same errors happened.  I
> went ahead and used localhost as a way to bypass the error.  I still
> get the same results using either using 'localhost' or 'hostname.'
> Yes, network interface responding hostname is up and can be pinged.
> Do you have any suggestions in this case?

My next inspection would be to look at the amanda users ./amandahosts
file and verify its correct.  It will need to resemble this:
------------------
coyote.coyote.den amanda
coyote   amanda
coyote.coyote.den root
gene.coyote.den  root
gene   root
shop.coyote.den  root
shop   root
shop.coyote.den  amanda
shop   amanda
-------------------
which lists both the user amanda and the user root, as being legit
accesses to the 3 machines I backup everynight, by both the machines
alias and its FQDN.  Except for the firewall "gene", no dns server is
running so all local accesses are looked up in /etc/hosts.  Some of
that in fact may not be required.  But I was just covering all
bases. :)

And you can see that localhost, 127.0.0.1, only exists in the /etc/hosts
file.

2006 18:11, Wayne Thorpe wrote:
> [...]
>>Amanda Tape Server Host Check
>>-----------------------------
>>WARNING: tapedev is null:, dumps will be thrown away
>>Holding disk /amanda-vtapes-local/ProtoLocal: 9375682 KB disk space
>> available, that's plenty NOTE: skipping tape checks
>>NOTE: info dir /usr/adm/amanda/ProtoLocal/curinfo: does not exist
>>NOTE: it will be created on the next run
>>Server check took 0.002 seconds
>> Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
>>--------------------------------
>>WARNING: localhost: selfcheck request timed out. Host down?
>>Client check: 1 host checked in 30.027 seconds, 1 problem found
>> (brought to you by Amanda 2.4.4)
>
>Why are you using localhost? It is not, and never will be, a unique
>address, and amanda gets a tummy ache because of it.
>
>Please use the FQDN of the machine, as it exists in the /etc/hosts
> file, or an alias that is also listed in that file.

>> My log file reads:
>>
>> [host] /usr/adm/amanda/ProtoLocal > more log.20060223.0
>>START driver date 20060223
>>DISK planner localhost /itrn1
>>START planner date 20060223
>>INFO planner Adding new disk localhost:/itrn1.
>>START taper datestamp 20060223 label [fake-label] tape 0
>>WARNING taper tapedev is null:, dumps will be thrown away
>>ERROR planner Request to localhost timed out.
>>FINISH planner date 20060223
>>WARNING driver WARNING: got empty schedule from planner
>>STATS driver startup time 30.035
>>INFO taper tape [fake-label] kb 0 fm 0 [OK]
>>FINISH driver date 20060223 time 30.055
>>

>> A portion of my dump.1 reads:
>>
>> [host] /usr/adm/amanda/ProtoLocal > more amdump.1
>> .
>> .
>> .
>> GETTING ESTIMATES...
>>driver: started dumper0 pid 1632
>>driver: started dumper1 pid 1633
>>driver: started dumper2 pid 1634
>>driver: started dumper3 pid 1635
>>taper: pid 1631 executable taper version 2.4.4
>>dumper: dgram_bind: socket bound to 0.0.0.0.753
>>dumper: pid 1632 executable dumper0 version 2.4.4, using port 753
>>taper: page size is 8192
>>taper: buffer size is 32768
>>dumper: dgram_bind: socket bound to 0.0.0.0.754
>>dumper: pid 1633 executable dumper1 version 2.4.4, using port 754
>>dumper: dgram_bind: socket bound to 0.0.0.0.755
>>
>> /etc/services reads:
>>
>> #amanda
>>amanda 10080/udp
>>amandaidx 10082/tcp
>>amidxtape 10083/tcp
>>
>> /etc/inetd.conf
>>
>> #amanda
>>amanda dgram udp wait amanda /opt/sfw/libexec/amandad amandad
>>amandaidx stream tcp nowait amanda /opt/sfw/libexec/amindexd amindexd
>>amidxtape stream tcp nowait amanda /opt/sfw/libexec/amidxtaped

>> Yahoo! Mail
>> Use Photomail to share photos without annoying attachments.

message by Gene Heskett are: