Amanda-Users

Re: Host down message on localhost client

2006-02-25 13:07:55
Subject: Re: Host down message on localhost client
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 13:02:37 -0500
On Sat, Feb 25, 2006 at 08:45:43AM -0800, Wayne Thorpe wrote:
> Jon or anyone,
>
>   Do you have any suggestion on how you used inetconv for smf usage
> with amanda, I'm looking through the man page, however if you have any
> specific application on how this is used with amanda, that would be
> great.

Not from personal experience.  Here are a couple of pointers from
folks at Sun that I found in my notes.

In a Solaris x86 mailing list, a message from

    Stephen Hahn <stephen.hahn AT sun DOT com>

say to setup your services and inetd.conf files before converting.
For a single service to be converted he suggests extracting the
relevant lines to a separate file and just converting that.  Here
are the relevant paragraphs:

  The easiest way to move an inetd(1M) to smf(5) is to use inetconv(1M).
  If you take your previous inetd.conf entry and put it in a new file
  called inetd.conf.qpopper, say, then

  $ inetconv -n -o . -i inetd.conf.qpopper

  will create an equivalent service manifest for your service.  You can
  then edit it, place it in the /var/svc/manifest tree, and use
  svccfg(1M) to import it.  If you start dropping option letters,
  inetconv(1M) will do more of this for you automatically.

  - Stephen

Don't forget to restart inetd with a "pkill -HUP inetd" afterward.

I also have email from

    Liane Praza <lianep AT eng.sun DOT com>

that is included below.  Liane and Stephen are part of Sun's "smf squad".
Each has blogs that specialize in smf:

    http://blogs.sun.com/lianep
    http://blogs.sun.com/roller/page/sch

One of the things Stephen is doing is collecting "service manifests" for
various open source software packages.  However as yet I see no suggested
manifest for amanda.  You might periodically check there, or write to them
and ask if they have seen one to use as an example.

Liane's blog also includes the slides of a talk she does on smf.
Here is her email about inetconv.

  While it would be excellent to manually create service manifests for
  amanda, it isn't required.  All that manifest creation step buys you
  for inetd.conf services is more mnemonic service names and the ability
  to add documentation links.  The manifest creation step buys you a
  *lot* more for services which are traditionally out of rc?.d, but that's
  a different topic.

  smf(5) provides compatibility  for services invoked either by the
  rc directories or inetd.conf(4).  For a service started with an
  inetd.conf entry, all you need to do is install those entries into
  inetd.conf, then run:

    # inetconv -e

  The entries in inetd.conf will automatically be generated as smf(5)
  manifests, the manifests imported, and the services enabled.

  If you have any questions or problems, I'll be happy to help.

  liane

Hope this assists.
jl
 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)