Amanda-Users

Re: Migrating to Amanda, question 2

2006-02-10 13:44:46
Subject: Re: Migrating to Amanda, question 2
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 13:40:38 -0500 (EST)
On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 at 1:22pm, Gene Heskett wrote

On Friday 10 February 2006 11:42, Salvatore Enrico Indiogine wrote:

tar:
CentSO  tar-1.14-8.RHEL4         FC4   tar-1.15.1-11.FC4

CentOS tar-1.14.* is known bad, I'm using 1.15-1 myself, with 1.13-25
installed as a fallback available with a rebuild/reinstall of amanda, a
6 minute job typically...

Actually, centos-4's tar seems to work just fine. They recently fixed a sparse files bug in it, and it seems quite happy. I've recently done a few multi-TB backup/restores with it with no problem.

Or is there something I'm missing?

As to centos vs. FC, I prefer centos if only for the longer life cycle and the feeling that it's a bit more tested than FC. That being said, I've never run FC, so take that all with a grain of salt.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering