Amanda-Users

Re: numeric-owner problem

2006-01-30 22:21:02
Subject: Re: numeric-owner problem
From: Inaki Sanchez <isanchez AT unav DOT es>
To: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 09:12:01 +0100
Hi,

Tar stores by default both user/group name and numeric information when
creating an archive.
When creating archives, if --numeric-owner is used, the user/group name
information isn't stored.
When restoring, if --numeric-owner is set, tar will only use the numeric
information from the archive and disregard the names.
So you probably want to use --numeric-owner option only to restore.

I have done several bare metal restores with Knoppix and tar without problems.

See https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2004-May/msg01985.html

--
Inaki Sanchez

Frank Smith wrote: