Amanda-Users

numeric-owner problem

2006-01-30 16:17:03
Subject: numeric-owner problem
From: Kosa Attila <atkosa AT chello DOT hu>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 22:00:45 +0100
Hi all,

Environment:
- server
        - Debian Sarge, amanda-server 2.4.4p3-3;
- client
        - Debian Sarge, amanda-client 2.4.4p3-3;
        - Debian Woody, amanda-client 2.4.4p3-3 (I made it myself
          backport).

The clients' full backup is succesful with the following config
(typically reiserfs partitions are required to backup):

define dumptype myconfig {
 program "GNUTAR"
 comment "partitions dumped with tar"
 options no-compress, index, exclude-list "/etc/amanda/exclude.gtar"
 priority high
 dumpcycle 0
 maxcycle 0
}

I tried to restore the full backup by 3.7 Knoppix CD, and I
succeeded, but there is only one mistake. Uid/gid pairs in the
Knoppix system are different than in my Woody (or Sarge) system,
therefore certain parts of the restored system are not able to
work. I think it would be a solution if the tar used also a
--numeric-owner option to backup. I wonder if the only
possibility to do it is rewriting the source or there is any
simpler method I didn't notice.

--
                Yours sincerely
                                    Zsiga