Amanda-Users

Re: numeric-owner problem

2006-01-30 17:03:01
Subject: Re: numeric-owner problem
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 16:55:26 -0500
On Mon, Jan 30, 2006 at 10:00:45PM +0100, Kosa Attila wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Environment:
> - server
>       - Debian Sarge, amanda-server 2.4.4p3-3;
> - client
>       - Debian Sarge, amanda-client 2.4.4p3-3;
>       - Debian Woody, amanda-client 2.4.4p3-3 (I made it myself
>         backport).
>
> The clients' full backup is succesful with the following config
> (typically reiserfs partitions are required to backup):

> I tried to restore the full backup by 3.7 Knoppix CD, and I
> succeeded, but there is only one mistake. Uid/gid pairs in the
> Knoppix system are different than in my Woody (or Sarge) system,
> therefore certain parts of the restored system are not able to
> work. I think it would be a solution if the tar used also a
> --numeric-owner option to backup. I wonder if the only
> possibility to do it is rewriting the source or there is any
> simpler method I didn't notice.

I love it when man pages don't describe all the options and you
have to go to "info" to see what the poster is talking about :(

If the users do not have the same numeric id's on both systems,
how would telling tar to use numeric id's help your situation?

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)