Amanda-Users

Re: Is it possible to have backup to DLT cartridge and the other within DLE to the 2* hard drives.

2006-01-30 13:46:28
Subject: Re: Is it possible to have backup to DLT cartridge and the other within DLE to the 2* hard drives.
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: Chuck Amadi Systems Administrator <chuck AT smtl.co DOT uk>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 13:37:07 -0500 (EST)
On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 at 6:05pm, Chuck Amadi Systems Administrator wrote

I have beening looking into a external storage capacity problem whereby
my Organisation have three Linux Suse 9 Enterprise servers with DAT tap
drives that use 20GB native thus the server have a 80GB hard drive
capacity So anyway I am about to push for a 80GB DLT drive with a
Dedicated tower station reasonable priced with two scsi 73GB hard
drives.

I was wandering would it be possible to have the 80GB File/Document
server backup up to DLT cartridges but on the DLE (disk list entries)
have the two other servers which are also 80GB hard drives backuped to
the new dedicated Backup tower/server which has two 80GB hard drives as
I would prefer for maintenance and upgrades to have just one backup
server.

I'm having a bit of trouble understanding what you wrote, but it sounds like you're asking whether it's possible to backup more than 1 80GB hard drives to an 80GB DLT. If so, then emphatically yes. I have a 5.5TB server being backed up to a 400GB native LTO3 drive. Just split the disks into multiple DLEs and use GNUTAR as the backup program.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering