Amanda-Users

Re: gnutar error messages configurable?

2006-01-14 15:30:09
Subject: Re: gnutar error messages configurable?
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 15:04:26 -0500
On Sat, Jan 14, 2006 at 12:31:38PM +0100, Josef Wolf wrote:

> > >Huh? How comes that this makes a difference on the root-filesystem?
> >
> > Perhaps the reason for that syntax needs to be repeated.
> >
> > Tar, in its traversal of a file system, looks at subdirs in the ./
> > world, where the dot anchors it to the current directory.  It does not
> > look any further down the tree than the one its currently "cd'd" to.
>
> Well, the confusing bit here is that tar does a _string_ comparison.
>
> In the above case the DLE in question was the root-directory.  In
> filesystem semantics "/media" and "./media" is aequivalent as long as
> you are cd'd into / (as it was in this case).

Not that it explains any of Josef's problems, but I think some are
confusing the contents of an exclude list file (the things being excluded)
and the specified name of the exclude list file.

The contents of the file must always be specified as relative to the
head directory of the DLE.

The name of the list file can be specified absolute (full) or relative.
If relative it is relative to the head directory of the DLE.  If absolute,
it is based on the client's root directory.  Thus you could have a global
exclude list file affecting all DLE's on the client plus DLE specific
exclude lists.  Something like:

        exclude list append optional "/usr/local/amanda/my_global_excludes"
        exclude list append optional "./.my_per_dle_excludes"

I don't think the last one needs the "./"

Hmm, come to think of it, the exclude document was written, I think,
before the append and optional keywords were introduced and before
all "appends" were combined into one file for gnutar.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)