Amanda-Users

Re: gnutar error messages configurable?

2006-01-13 10:51:31
Subject: Re: gnutar error messages configurable?
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 10:44:47 -0500
On Friday 13 January 2006 08:38, Josef Wolf wrote:
>On Fri, Jan 13, 2006 at 10:36:17AM +0100, Alexander Jolk wrote:
>> >I get from gnutar the following error messages:
>> >
>> >  ? gtar: ./media/floppy: Cannot savedir: No medium found
>> >  ? gtar: ./media/floppy: Warning: Cannot savedir: No medium found
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> > and put "/media" into /.amanda.exclude on that host, but this
>> > doesn't seem to help.
>>
>> You need to put "./media" into the exclude file.
>
>Huh? How comes that this makes a difference on the root-filesystem?
> Anyway, I'll try it (but I will have the result not before tomorrow).
>
>Thanks for the hint!

Perhaps the reason for that syntax needs to be repeated.

Tar, in its traversal of a file system, looks at subdirs in the ./
world, where the dot anchors it to the current directory.  It does not
look any further down the tree than the one its currently "cd'd" to.
It has no view of, or knowledge of, any file not in its currently being
addressed directory.

So a proper exclude then, assuming you don't want foo in this directory
to be backed up, then the exclude file syntax for this entry is ./foo

Tar will skip/exclude all instances of foo found in the tree that the
current DLE specifies, using the dumptype specified by that DLE.
Whether its a directory or a single file is immaterial.

Note however, that there is nothing from preventing you from making a
slightly differently named dumptype stanza in your amanda.conf, whose
action is identical to another one except for the name and location of
the exclude file tar is to use while executing this dumptype.

The only caveat to this is that any included dumptypes in this new
dumptype must exist above the new one in amanda.conf, it does not
reread the file to satisfy missing dependencies.

So you can include a previous dumptype in its entirety, specifying only
a different exclude file if you'd like as its the last one specified
thats used so the previous versions exclude file setting is
over-ridden.

message by Gene Heskett are: