Amanda-Users

Re: gnutar error messages configurable?

2006-01-13 10:06:26
Subject: Re: gnutar error messages configurable?
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 09:52:45 -0500
On Fri, Jan 13, 2006 at 07:47:27AM +0100, Josef Wolf wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I get from gnutar the following error messages:
>
>   ? gtar: ./media/floppy: Cannot savedir: No medium found
>   ? gtar: ./media/floppy: Warning: Cannot savedir: No medium found
>   | gtar: ./tmp/.X11-unix/X0: socket ignored
>   | gtar: ./tmp/ssh-cqLX19675/agent.19675: socket ignored
>   | Total bytes written: 6649047040 (6.2GiB, 2.4MiB/s)
>   ? gtar: Error exit delayed from previous errors
>   sendbackup: error [/bin/tar returned 2]
>
> The /media directory is handled by an automounter, hence the error message.
> I have tried to
>
>   define dumptype default {
>     program  "GNUTAR"
>     compress client best
>     exclude  list optional ".amanda.exclude"
>     index    yes
>     # strategy "incronly"
>   }
>
> and put "/media" into /.amanda.exclude on that host, but this doesn't seem to
> help.
>
> Now I wonder whether the expected error messages from gnutar are configurable
> somehow.  The "Cannot savedir: No medium found" is probably something that
> should not be a fatal error and cause amanda to throw away the whole dump?

Others addressed your exclude problem.

RE the last paragraph; yes, amanda's treatment of the error messages
is configurable.  You can add regex messages in sendbackup-gnutar.c.

Are you sure the dump was discarded?  Or are you assuming that based
on the above messages?  The gnutar message "error exit delayed" and
the exit status "2" indicates that tar just noted some oddities/errors
but did not abort because of them.  Did amanda subsequently reject
the dump or just report what tar reported which looks scary.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)