Amanda-Users

Re: WARNING: tapecycle (6) <= runspercycle (6).

2006-01-07 13:23:11
Subject: Re: WARNING: tapecycle (6) <= runspercycle (6).
From: Tony van der Hoff <tony AT vanderhoff DOT org>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2006 18:17:15 +0000
Ian Turner <ian AT zmanda DOT com> wrote in message
<200601071254.16223.ian AT zmanda DOT com>

> On Saturday 07 January 2006 12:38 pm, Tony van der Hoff wrote:
> > WARNING: tapecycle (6) <= runspercycle (6).
>
> What this means, is that if a dump ever fails (bad tape, network problems,

> etc.), there is a chance that you will have no backup at all.
>
> If tapecycle == dumpcycle, then you are overwriting your very last dump
> each time, which is not very safe. Better to have tapecycle be at least
> double dumpcycle, so that you have a spare backup if the one you are
> erasing has any problem.

Thanks, Ian, that makes sense. Something's evidently awry.

I have 6 tapes, HomeDumps_01 -> HomeDumps_06. Each day, Mon-Sat, I run
HomeDumps with a different tape, repeating that the following week. amverify
correctly asks me for the appropriate tape each day, before coming out with
the warning.

My amanda.conf includes:
        dumpcycle 1 weeks
        runspercycle 6          # each weekday
        tapecycle 6 tapes       # one for each day

Which of these should I change?

I am certainly not overwriting my last dump; in fact I have 5 generations of
dump :)

Oh, and don't bother to post both to me AND to the list; just one will do :)

--
Tony van der Hoff        | mailto:tony AT vanderhoff DOT org
Buckinghamshire, England