Amanda-Users

Re: Combining full disk backups with Amanda

2005-09-28 13:43:30
Subject: Re: Combining full disk backups with Amanda
From: u <calanet AT gmail DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 13:40:37 -0400

> Amanda will not do incrementals of any DLE until it has done a full
> dump (level 0).  You would have to have at least a starting point done
> by amanda.  Then perhaps you could change the settings to do infinite
> (actually just very very long) dumpcycle and set amanda to an increment
> only strategy.
OK, assume this is done.  We do one initial dump (level 0) and then
every four weeks we repeat the process and do another full dump (level
0).  Inside each four weeks cycle, we follow an incremental only
strategy.

> You could
> only get from amanda those files that changed during the week.  It would
> not have a copy of the original starting files.  Amanda's dumps would only
> be good for something that changed and subsequently was lost or trashed.
> You could get back the changed version.  But if the file was simply trashed
> amanda would not have the original to restore.  (no level 0 in your scheme)

I have a doubt.  When Amanda take a backup of a changed file, does it
backup the entire file or just the diff?
If we follow the assumptions stated above, wouldn't we have a copy of
the file from the last level 0 full backup plus all of the changes
during the 4 weeks cycle?