Amanda-Users

Combining full disk backups with Amanda

2005-09-28 10:41:31
Subject: Combining full disk backups with Amanda
From: u <calanet AT gmail DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 10:38:51 -0400
Hi everyone!
Has anyone implemented a solution by which full disk backups are done
weekly by a 3rd party tool and Amanda is used to backup a set of
directories in those same disk volumes (incremental backups)?

The cycle would be a follows:
Sunday/week 1 - run full disk backups using 3rd party tool.
every day (Mon-Sat) - run Amanda incremental backups daily in the evening.
Sunday/week 2 - run full disk backups using 3rd party too.
every day (Mon-Sat)  - run Amanda incremental backups daily in the evening.

If a customer request to restore a dataset, then we restore from Amanda.
The customer is advised that recovery of files/directories under
Amanda control cannot go beyond Sunday of the current week.
If a Disaster takes place during the week, first we restore disk using
3rd party too.
Then, we apply changes during the week (incremental) using Amanda

I'm using amanda 2.4.5 as a server with serveral 2.4.4p3 clients.
Any advice? is it a workable solution?
could you share your approach and methodology?