Amanda-Users

Re: Combining full disk backups with Amanda

2005-09-28 13:12:40
Subject: Re: Combining full disk backups with Amanda
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 13:09:27 -0400
On Wed, Sep 28, 2005 at 10:38:51AM -0400, u wrote:
> Hi everyone!
> Has anyone implemented a solution by which full disk backups are done
> weekly by a 3rd party tool and Amanda is used to backup a set of
> directories in those same disk volumes (incremental backups)?
>
> The cycle would be a follows:
> Sunday/week 1 - run full disk backups using 3rd party tool.
> every day (Mon-Sat) - run Amanda incremental backups daily in the evening.
> Sunday/week 2 - run full disk backups using 3rd party too.
> every day (Mon-Sat)  - run Amanda incremental backups daily in the evening.

Amanda will not do incrementals of any DLE until it has done a full
dump (level 0).  You would have to have at least a starting point done
by amanda.  Then perhaps you could change the settings to do infinite
(actually just very very long) dumpcycle and set amanda to an increment
only strategy.

> If a customer request to restore a dataset, then we restore from Amanda.
> The customer is advised that recovery of files/directories under
> Amanda control cannot go beyond Sunday of the current week.

Assuming amanda would do what you seek, this would not be true.  You could
only get from amanda those files that changed during the week.  It would
not have a copy of the original starting files.  Amanda's dumps would only
be good for something that changed and subsequently was lost or trashed.
You could get back the changed version.  But if the file was simply trashed
amanda would not have the original to restore.  (no level 0 in your scheme)

This same question was asked 3 or 4 weeks ago.  You might try to find
that thread in the archives and see fi there were any other suggestions.
Or contact the original poster and see if they got something working.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)