Amanda-Users

Re: Using DRDB and disks for tapes.

2005-09-26 10:35:59
Subject: Re: Using DRDB and disks for tapes.
From: Geert Uytterhoeven <geert AT linux-m68k DOT org>
To: Graeme Humphries <graeme.humphries AT vcom DOT com>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 16:30:00 +0200 (CEST)
On Mon, 26 Sep 2005, Graeme Humphries wrote:
> Owen Williams wrote:
> > A colleague and I are thinking of getting two large RAID arrays
> > keeping one in his machine room and one in mine in different
> > buildings.  Then split them in two with DRDB running in pairs on the
> > four partitions.
>
> Unless you have 100Bt or better between your machine rooms, you may find that
> this is quite slow. I'd do some replication benchmarks before doing a full
> implementation. ;)

Indeed. And rsyncing vtapes doesn't help much, since the vtapes' contents
differ a lot (it would be nice if at least successive level 0's of unchanged
file systems were (almost) identical. Anyone played with gzip --rsyncable
yet?).

So you will end up copying (at least) the full amount of data once per
dumpcycle.

I guess e.g. rdiff-backup would be a better solution.

If you just add data (e.g. your digital picture collection), plain rsync can
already be quite handy. Having broadband at home (6 Mbps downstream, 512
kbps[*] upstream in my case :-) is sufficient for these purposes.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                                                Geert

[*] Doh, we're getting spoiled. I can easily remember when the local university
    had a whopping 256 kbps Internet connection...
--
Geert Uytterhoeven -- There's lots of Linux beyond ia32 -- geert AT linux-m68k
DOT org

                                                            -- Linus Torvalds