Amanda-Users

Re: Wait for dumping

2005-09-17 23:51:35
Subject: Re: Wait for dumping
From: Florian Lengyel <flengyel AT gc.cuny DOT edu>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 23:25:48 -0400
Here's the post-mortem: I've been using a hand-me-dowm
Spectra Logic 2K. No matter what tape I tried in drive 0
(the only one of two that my AMANDA configuration seems
to recognize) I had I/O errors. Even an innocuous command such as

mt -f /dev/nst0 compression off

[by the way, the argument "off" is worth a small fortune in
consulting fees, since it has to be guessed]

Resulted in an I/O error. Such things are often caused by
hardware trouble. After checking cables, interface card seating,
and other things, I tried using the cleaning tape.
Problem solved.

-F

PS. In view of the recent complaints on this list about the AMANDA
documentation, for lack of any specific citation I must take the opportunity to disagree. The documentation is intelligible to anyone who takes the trouble to read it. Although my group is relatively
small,  we are able to maintain many more Linux servers
(for computational clusters) with fewer problems than if we
were running Windows systems: we can turn to the open source community for assistance and, well, the source.

http://research.gc.cuny.edu/index.php/Research_Computing:About#Strategic_Defenestration_Initiative

Jon LaBadie wrote:

amcheck-server: slot 11: tape_rdlabel: tape open:
     /dev/nst0: Input/output error

amcheck-server: fatal slot 11:
     Unloading Data Transfer Element into Storage Element 11
     mtx: Request Sense: Long Report=yes

I don't know about you, but if this was my report I'd check slot 11.