Amanda-Users

Re: Index files not being created

2005-09-16 19:25:56
Subject: Re: Index files not being created
From: "Cameron Beattie" <kjcsb AT orcon.net DOT nz>
To: <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 11:07:05 +1200

Some of your comments confuse me.

On Fri, Sep 16, 2005 at 07:39:18PM +1200, Cameron Beattie wrote:
I believe this problem is resolved thanks to some help from the list. See
my inline comments for the resolution.

The warning is no longer present in the log and the index seems to be
created:
ls -laF /var/lib/amanda/normal/index/hostname/_etc
drwxr-sr-x  4 amanda disk 4096 Sep 16 17:29 ./
drwxr-xr-x  4 amanda disk 4096 Sep 13 16:47 ../
-rw-------  1 amanda disk 7595 Sep 16 17:29 20050916_0.gz

The name of that directory, "_etc" says it was created
to index a DLE named "/etc".  All slashes, "/", are
converted to underscores, "_".

An index directory for a DLE of the root file system named
"/" would show up as "...ex/hostname/_".

gunzip -d 20050916_0.gz
vi 20050916_0
This shows all files and directories listed as expected

You decompressed the file before looking at it. (btw the
-d was ignored as redundant)  Did you recompress it before
trying amrecover?  amrecover expects the compressed file.

My comments were misleading. I tried amrecover first, got the error and then decompressed it.

However amrecover reports
cd /etc
amrecover -C normal
"No index records for disk for specified date"

This is why I ask the above question.  A safer way to
view, not edit, a gzip'ped file is gzmore.

Thanks for the tip.

BTW, a paranoid like myself would never do a recovery in
the original location.  There is too much danger of trashing
something unintended.  I make, or use, an empty directory
and cd there.  Then I set the diskname on either the command
line or after entering amrecover.

I agree but I hadn't figured that part out yet. The following seemed to work:
cd /recover
amrecover normal
setdisk /etc
add aliases
extract

>>hostname / {
>>  root-tar
>>  include "./etc"
>>}

An index directory for this would be called "_".

You are right. I had been testing with two different configurations which confused me. The index is saved in _ *not* _etc.

I had changed /etc/amanda/normal/disklist to:
hostname /etc root-tar

The amdump then created the above index dir "_etc".

When I changed it back to:
hostname / {
  root-tar
  include "./etc"
}

I could successfully use amrecover.
I don't understand why but it works now.

Give what you've shown I don't either.
Strictly a guess, you have an index dir and
indicies that you overlooked because of their
simple name "_".

Once again, thanks for the advice.

Regards

Cameron