Amanda-Users

Re: Can someone explain to me what no-hold in amstatus means ?

2005-09-14 13:46:49
Subject: Re: Can someone explain to me what no-hold in amstatus means ?
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 13:40:49 -0400
On Wed, Sep 14, 2005 at 12:50:20PM -0400, Guy Dallaire wrote:
> 2005/9/14, Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>:
> >
> > Just the dump space.  Backup the config dir and other associated dirs.
> > Some would actually reflect the previous run as they are not complete
> > until the end of the dump.
> >
> > > If I lose the index data, it means I will no longer be able to use
> > > amrecover right ?
> >
> > Correct, though amrestore or manual recovery will still work.
> >

> I've just realized that maybe my understanding of the holding disk
> concept was not adequate. It looks like IDEALLY, the holding disk(s)
> devices should be used/dedicated specifically for that purpose only.

Two purposes I know of for the holding disk:

- a place to collect your dumps when a tape drive is not available,
  either intentionally (let them collect and then flush) or from some
  error state

- enable multiple DLE dumps to progress at the same time, parallelism.
  they collect on the holding disk until complete while taper picks one
  completed DLE dump at a time to send to the tape

> In my case, the holding disk was used as the holding disk, as well as
> a place for amanda db, logs and indexes. The disk was probably VERY
> HEAVILY STAMPED ON so that might explain the no-hold problem.

It is definitely not intended for config/log/index/debug file data.

But, you had said you had 130GB of free holding disk space available
and only 8GB of dumps to do.  Even with the config ... data you should
not have run out of space.

> P.S.: I'll leave the holding disk device OUT of the disklists as I
> don't think it need to be backed up if it only contains the amanda
> dumps. Right ?

I never have.  Do you want a dump of your dumps? :)

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)