Amanda-Users

Re: Can someone explain to me what no-hold in amstatus means ?

2005-09-14 12:02:15
Subject: Re: Can someone explain to me what no-hold in amstatus means ?
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 11:48:22 -0400
On Wed, Sep 14, 2005 at 11:04:59AM -0400, Guy Dallaire wrote:
> 2005/9/14, Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>:
> >
> > An alternative, if you use gnutar rather than dump, is to exclude
> > the directory containing the holding disks space.  I have my
> > holding disk spread over 4 drives.  I named each consistantly
> > as dumps/amanda, relative to the filesystems root.  Thus in my
> > exclude file I simply have "./dumps/amanda" listed and all 4
> > holding disk spaces are skipped.  Perhaps you could comment
> > out the 'holdingdisk no' parameter and replace it with an
> > 'exclude file append <relative path to holding disk>' for
> > a night and see the effect.  (check the syntax first)
> >

> I'll try that. Thanks.
>
> What happens if I don't back up the holding disk ? I mean, on my
> holding disk I have the dumps themselves, the logs, and the indexes.
>
> Should I exclude all this, or only the dumps themselves ?

Just the dump space.  Backup the config dir and other associated dirs.
Some would actually reflect the previous run as they are not complete
until the end of the dump.

> If I lose the index data, it means I will no longer be able to use
> amrecover right ?

Correct, though amrestore or manual recovery will still work.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)