Amanda-Users

Re: Can someone explain to me what no-hold in amstatus means ?

2005-09-14 10:34:09
Subject: Re: Can someone explain to me what no-hold in amstatus means ?
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: "Amanda (E-mail)" <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 10:20:56 -0400
On Wed, Sep 14, 2005 at 09:01:46AM -0400, Guy Dallaire wrote:
> Does it mean that there was not enough space in the holding disk and
> amanda had to wait ?
>
> If so, why does amstatus tells me that my backup was in "no-hold"
> about 95% of the time, when I backed up 8 gb and I had about 150 gb
> free on the holding disk ?
>
> I've posted a question about that a couple of days ago but got now
> explanation about the no-hold.

I'm beginning to wonder if the reporting is faulty.  I.e. the actual
reason some dumpers is idle is not lack of holding space, but some
idle time is mistakenly assigned to the no-hold category.

I looked briefly at the source to driver.c.  That is the only place
I found that the string "no-hold" is used.  It seems to me that a
variable holding the reason for an idle dumper is not reset in a
loop in driver.c.  Thus, if some time there is a "no-hold" reason,
perhaps the reason stays at "no-hold" for other reasons.

There might be minor support for my theory if you have one or more
DLEs that specifically invoke the 'holdingdisk no' parameter.  For
example, when the partition that contains the holdingdisk is backed
up, often the use of the holdingdisk is prevented by the DLE.

I'll post a not to the hackers list describing my theory.  Maybe
someone who understands the code can confirm or reject it.

jl
 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)