Amanda-Users

Re: Hanging back-up.

2005-09-13 18:02:32
Subject: Re: Hanging back-up.
From: "Erik P. Olsen" <erik AT epo DOT dk>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 23:54:18 +0200
On Tue, 2005-09-13 at 17:26 -0400, Jon LaBadie wrote:
[snip]

> Just a clarification on terminology.
>
> As your dump progresses, dumpers become available, the dumper has to be
> assigned to some DLE, i.e. client/disk pair.  It is at this point that
> amanda will decide to start a new dump or not, not the entire backup,
> just whether to start any particular DLE dumping or not depending on
> the current "network usage".
>
> The slower backup does not come by slowing things down to the netusage
> parameter.  It comes from only having fewer DLEs dumping over the network
> at the same time.  Once they start they can actually use whatever network
> bandwidth they want.  Amanda has no further control over it.  Just whether
> to start it now or later.

Well, but it never started the backup later. This has happened with the
last two backup sessions and on the first I waited almost 7 hours for
the backup to finish before I gave up and it looks like it actually
started backing up the last filesystem but stopped before it finished.
This sounds odd but maybe I have misinterpreted the amstatus output.

Anyway I have decided not to be stingy this time and has given it a
netusage of 1 Gbps. Hopefully that will cure this problem :-)

--
Regards,
Erik P. Olsen