Amanda-Users

Re: Hanging back-up.

2005-09-13 16:49:31
Subject: Re: Hanging back-up.
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: "Erik P. Olsen" <erik AT epo DOT dk>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 16:41:22 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 at 10:20pm, Erik P. Olsen wrote

> On Tue, 2005-09-13 at 16:10 -0400, Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:
> > We're talking about network bandwidth -- ethernet.  And the parameter is
> > there in case your backup server and/or clients perform other network
> > intensive functions that you don't want to interfere with.  Myself, I
> > consider backups most important and want amanda to use all the bandwidth
> > it can.
>
> Yes and therefore a netuse value of "max" would be appropriate. I
> understand from what you say that the lower the bandwidth the slower the
> backup, but why does it make a full stop right before the backup
> finishes? Well, it is probably more an academic question. I would,
> however, like to get the answer but I will not read the code to get
> it :-)

Amanda doesn't actually throttle the backups.  It looks at how much
bandwidth is being used (based on history and backups speeds IIRC, which I
may well not), and will refuse to start a new backup if the usage is >
netusage.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering